Breakfast? Lunch? When do you take your supplements? The answer depends on the type of vitamins.
1. If you’re taking a multivitamin1, the best time of day is usually the morning with your first meal. That’s because vitamins are best absorbed into the body with food.
2. Fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K are stored in the body’s fat tissue2. These vitamins should be taken with some sort of dietary fat (such as nuts) to be properly absorbed into your system.
3. Water-soluble vitamins (C and B) are not stored in the body’s fat tissue and must be replaced each day3. Again, it’s generally recommended to take vitamins in the morning, but the best time of day for you to take a multivitamin or any supplement is when you’re most likely to remember to take it each day.
4. The only exception to this is B vitamins, which are known to help people combat stress or fatigue. Known as the ‘energy’ vitamins, it’s recommended that you take them in the morning as they can interfere with your sleep.
General Guidelines for Taking Supplements
1. Take your supplements during or right after a meal and drink plenty of fluids, unless otherwise directed. The increased acid and enzymes that are a part of digestion can aid in the supplements absorption and can minimize an upset stomach.
2. Take your supplements consistently to achieve the full health benefits. It can take between two or three months before you feel the positive effects of adding nutritional supplements. We recommend using a pillbox or set reminders to create healthy habits.
3. Take your supplements as indicated. Based on your individual health needs, it may be recommended that you take supplements in the morning, noon, or evening. In addition, you can always talk to your doctor about your supplement intake.
Most multivitamin brands contain synthetic vitamins manufactured in a lab, which lack the additional co-factors, such as enzymes and minerals, required for proper absorption. NATURELO’s whole food supplements come from real food, so your body can recognize and utilize them better.