A keto or ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that can help you burn fat more effectively. It has been shown in over 50 studies that it has many benefits for weight loss1 and is recommended by many doctors2.
But as the popularity of the ketogenic diet continues to grow, so does interest in how to optimize health while following this high-fat, low-carb eating plan.
Because the keto diet requires you to remove different foods, you would be smart to supplement with specific nutrients.
Here are the best supplements to take on a keto diet:
1. Magnesium: Magnesium is an extremely important mineral. It’s involved in hundreds of chemical reactions in your body and helps you maintain good health, but many people don’t get enough3. On a ketogenic diet, it may be even more difficult to meet your magnesium needs, as many magnesium-rich foods like beans and fruits are also high in carbs. This is why we recommend supplementing with NATURELO's Magnesium supplement to hit your daily amount.
2. MCT Oil: Medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs, are a popular supplement among keto dieters. MCTs are broken down by your liver and quickly enter your bloodstream where they can be used as a fuel source for your brain and muscles. Supplementing with MCT oil can help keto dieters since it can quickly up your fat intake, which increases ketone levels and helps you stay in ketosis4.
3. Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Including more omega-3 fatty acids in your diet can provide numerous health benefits. According to various studies, they reduce inflammation, reduce blood triglycerides, and can even lower your risk of dementia5. NATURELO's Omega-3 supplement can be particularly beneficial for people on ketogenic diets, as they can help maintain a healthy omega-3 to omega-6 ratio when following a high-fat diet.
4. Vitamin D: You may not develop a vitamin D deficiency on the ketogenic diet, but since vitamin D deficiency is common, supplementing with NATURELO's Vitamin D3 is a good idea6. Vitamin D is important for many bodily functions, including facilitating the absorption of calcium, a nutrient that can be lacking on a ketogenic diet, especially in those who are lactose intolerant7.
5. Greens Powder: Eating a diet rich in leafy greens can offer numerous health benefits including reduced risk of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and mental decline8. NATURELO's Raw Greens Whole Food Powder can be added to drinks, shakes, and smoothies making them a convenient way to increase your intake of healthy produce.
1. Dietary Intervention for Overweight and Obese Adults: Comparison of Low-Carbohydrate and Low-Fat Diets. A Meta-Analysis, October 20, 2015
The Diet Doctor: Over 200 doctors recommending a low-carb or keto diet
3. Magnesium in man: implications for health and disease, 2015 Jan;95(1):1-46. doi: 10.1152/physrev.00012.2014
Medium-chain triglyceride ketogenic diet, an effective treatment for drug-resistant epilepsy and a comparison with other ketogenic diets, 2013 Jan-Feb;36(1):9-15. doi: 10.4103/2319-4170.107154.
Effect of marine-derived n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on C-reactive protein, interleukin 6 and tumor necrosis factor α: a meta-analysis, 2014 Feb 5;9(2):e88103. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0088103. eCollection 2014
Vitamin D Deficiency in Adults: When to Test and How to Treat, 2010 Aug; 85(8): 752–758
Ketogenic diet for treatment of epilepsy, 2010 Jun; 56(6): 540–542
Nutrients and bioactives in green leafy vegetables and cognitive decline: Prospective study, 2018 Jan 16;90(3):e214-e222. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000004815. Epub 2017 Dec 20