Vitamin E is a fat-soluble nutrient with many benefits to the human body. It gains attention because it is a powerful antioxidant as well as a vital nutrient your body needs to stay and function at its best. It is a popular ingredient in most skin care products such as moisturizers, masks, and under eye creams.
Besides its use in the cosmetic industry, Vitamin E has several uses. Here are the seven benefits of vitamin E.
1. Heart health: Being an antioxidant Vitamin E has protective effects on the heart. Because of this reason, it is recommended as part of the treatment for both primary and secondary protection against heart-related diseases1. Vitamin E is found to prevent inflammation2 and platelet aggregation. It also plays a vital role in preventing the oxidation of fats (lipid peroxidation). It also enhances the endothelial function3.
2. Memory: Studies show that vitamin E may have a beneficial effect on memory and cognitive performance. The brain is highly susceptible to oxidative stress, and vitamin E’s antioxidant properties may exert a protective effect. Oxidative stress increases with age and results in memory loss and other neuro-degenerative conditions such as Alzheimer’s. Studies show that low vitamin E levels related to poor memory, while optimal vitamin E levels showed positive effects on brain function of the elderly4. Research shows that those with vitamin E intake less than 50% of the recommended daily value were shown to perform cognitively worse than those with higher intake5.
3. Liver: Optimal levels of vitamin E may offer protective effects to the liver. Studies show that vitamin E helps improve symptoms of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease6.
4. Hair growth: A 2010 study demonstrated that supplementation with vitamin E (as tocotrienols) increased hair numbers in volunteers suffering from hair loss7. Researchers suggest that vitamin E’s antioxidant effects helps reduce fat oxidation and stress in the scalp resulting in better hair growth.
5. Skin: Vitamin E is a helpful tool against aging, sun damage, and reducing inflammation. As a fat-soluble nutrient vitamin E helps restore the skin’s natural oil balance and keeps it nourished and reduces damage.
6. Dry eyes: Vitamin E reduces the free radical generation and reduces damage to the delicate cells in the eye. Research shows that optimal levels of vitamin E improve the retinal blood flow in patients with type 1 diabetes8. Increased blood flow to the retina may help with improving dry eyes.
7. Stress: Taking adequate vitamin E may also help combat stress-related conditions such as high BP,sleeplessness, and heart issues. Stress increases free radical formation; vitamin E helps reduce free radical generation.
Naturally occurring vitamin E exists in eight chemical forms. NATURELO’s Vitamin E supplement comes from organic whole foods and provides vitamin E in its natural form. Humans absorb the natural form of vitamin E better than the synthetic form. The natural form of mixed tocopherols - includes alpha tocopherol and gamma tocopherol — plus tocotrienols, so you get the antioxidant benefits of all 8 isomers of vitamin E, not just one.