Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body. It is present almost everywhere - in muscles, blood vessels, skin, bones, and digestive tract. Collagen is what gives the strength and elasticity to your skin, and it is often revered as a “fountain of youth.”
Being a vital component of every organ in your body, it has many crucial benefits:
1. Improves Skin Health: Keeping up with collagen levels helps reduce wrinkles and improves skin elasticity. It enhances blood flow in the skin and prevents skin dryness. A 2014 study on women between the ages 35 to 55 found that taking 2.5 or 5 grams of collagen improved skin elasticity in 8 weeks.
2. Eases Arthritis Pain: If you feel stiff and pain in your joints when you walk or move, it could be because of the loss of collagen in the joints. A study from Harvard’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston found that type 2 collagen helped in pain relief among rheumatoid arthritis patients. Another study found that patients with osteoarthritis joint pain showed significant enhancements in activities like walking, climbing stairs with improved quality of life.
3. Prevents Bone Loss: Your bones also have collagen. The crosslinking process of collagen helps give structure and shape to the bones. A 2018 randomized control study found that specific collagen peptides help improve bone mineral density and bone markers in postmenopausal women.
4. Promotes Wound Healing: Collagen is among the three primary components of your skin. Others include elastin and Glycosaminoglycans (GAGs). Together these components work to improve skin cell turnover, prevents loss of elasticity, and promotes wound healing. A marked loss of collagen levels results in weakening of the bonds in skin cells leading to aging of the skin.
5. Helps Build Muscle and Burn Fat: It is a vital part of muscle tissues; hence adequate collagen production in your body takes care of the muscles. Collagen is a concentrated source of the amino acid glycine, which helps the body make creatine. Creatine is the fuel for the muscles during workout. One study on older males with sarcopenia found that twelve weeks of collagen supplementation along with resistance training helps build muscle and promoted fat loss.
6. Reduces Cellulite: Collagen is also known to reduce cellulite and stretch marks. When collagen levels drop, the skin loses its elasticity and results in cellulite. Collagen supplements may also boost the production of other types of proteins, including elastin and fibrillin that support skin health.
7. Benefits Digestive Health: Collagen may also be beneficial in supporting gut and digestive health. A study on long-term care residents with pressure ulcers found that collagen supplements taken three times a day improved ulcer healing twice as fast. Another study found that those with inflammatory bowel disease were more likely to have low collagen levels. Maintaining optimal levels via food and supplements may offer protection from inflammatory bowel diseases.
With so much going on inside your body, the demand for collagen is constant. This is why your body makes it on a regular basis, but aging can slow this process. The NATURELO Collagen Supplement provides hydrolyzed collagen along with digestive blend, which makes it easy for your body to absorb and use collagen.
Oral supplementation of specific collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 2014;27(1):47-55. doi: 10.1159/000351376. Epub 2013 Aug 14
Effects of oral administration of type II collagen on rheumatoid arthritis, 1993 Sep 24;261(5129):1727-30
Safety and efficacy of undenatured type II collagen in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a clinical trial, 2009 Oct 9
The role of collagen in bone strength, 2006;17(3):319-36. Epub 2005 Dec 9
Specific Collagen Peptides Improve Bone Mineral Density and Bone Markers in Postmenopausal Women—A Randomized Controlled Study, 2018 Jan 16
Skin anti-aging strategies, 2012 Jul 1; 4(3): 308–319
Creatine supplementation with specific view to exercise/sports performance: an update, 2012 Jul 20
Collagen peptide supplementation in combination with resistance training improves body composition and increases muscle strength in elderly sarcopenic men: a randomised controlled trial, 2015 Oct 28; 114(8): 1237–1245
Pressure ulcer healing with a concentrated, fortified, collagen protein hydrolysate supplement: a randomized controlled trial, 2006 Mar;19(2):92-6
Serum laminin and collagen IV in inflammatory bowel disease, 2003 Nov;56(11):817-20